Live debate: BeachGrit vs Stab!
A battle five days in the making!
You have now read the accounting of the physical altercation that happened today in bucolic San Clemente, California (click here). A town that is not known for violence, by the way, but rather happiness and open goodwill. A town that mirrors icons Richard M. Nixon and Christopher Ward. And now here is the podcast. I haven’t listened yet but from memory the salient bits, in no particular order, are:
1. Ashton saying two things at once. “I love/am inspired by/enjoy…” while also completely denigrating whatever it is that he’s talking about.
2. The abject paternalism Stab feels toward its readership.
3. (I would imagine) The hideously ugly tone of my rage-choked voice.
4. Ashton explaining what Stab means to him in gorgeously rococo language.
5. Me telling Ashton that I like Stab in the Dark.
6. Ashton telling me that Stab has broken every single story since he arrived.
6. Ashton saying there is no official policy at Stab not to talk about BeachGrit before saying there is an official policy at Stab not to talk about BeachGrit.
7. The 15-year-olds at Stab who get protected from vile commenter speech.
8. Ashton trying to parse surf media and claim that BeachGrit, Stab, Surfline etc. are all completely separate things that cannot be grouped together.
But take a few minutes and listen. More importantly tell me what you think. Am I borderline retarded chimp or is it not even borderline?
Did Ashton’s ridiculously mealy mouth sound worse in person or does it pour through the radio too?