Oowee: This is what the Webber pool looks like!
The fabled Webber tank inches a little closer!
On Thursday, the details of the soon-to-be-built Webber wave pool were leaked from a council pre-development meeting.
To recap: the company Tunnel Vision Holding Pty Ltd, which was founded by the skateboarder and surfer Ben Mackay who made his cash with the retro-skateboard company, Penny, was chasing approval to turn 95 hectares of dirt between the GC and Brisbane into what will be called Tunnel Vision Wave Park at Stapylton.
The leak, which was reported by the Gold Coast Bulletin, took the four-month-old company by surprise and the three-man team, Jay Baikie (media), Ben (money and front-man) and Josh Neale (engineering) had to finish their branding (which is very good) and frantically kick their dormant website live.
Now, we got an interview with Ben Mackay coming tomoz, but let’s look at what you might call the known knowns.
- Tunnel Vision is going to get the development application to the Gold Coast City Council “well before Christmas.”
- It has a twenty-year “binding” agreement with Webber for his pools in Australia. Which means, if you wanna build one in Australia, you gotta go through TV.
- The loop-shaped pool is going to be three hundred metres long.
- TV claims the pools will deliver 500 waves an hour or one every seven seconds. The foil never stops. Just keeps going round and round and round.
- Twenty second rides. The company compares it to getting a wave behind the rock at Snapper and all the wave through to Greenmount.
- TV is in discussions with Greg on how to create the “ridiculous distortions” he claims are necessary for pools not to be boring.
- It’s gonna be cheaper than the 80 Euros and $US60 one-hour sessions at Surf Snowdonia and NLand, the two commercially operating Wavegardens.
- Once it gets approved, in come the bulldozers.
- That photo in the header? It’s the entry to the park. You come in and burn your eyes on pretty wedges.
Will it happen or are we watching more piss on more trees?
Well, it…is… happening.
The game, our little world, is changing…