No. 2 pencils only.
As revealed, moments ago, one-time Venice-adjacent surf magazine Stab is hiring (youth only) for a coveted new Byron Bay position but first a quiz must be taken. No. 2 pencils only.
(Just kidding. If you’re using a no. 2 pencil it means you are old.)
1. Air quiz | Why will the name Zoltan Torkos forever be part of surfing’s aerial history?
He landed the first backflip
He was the first surfer to land an air at Waco.
He taught Christian Fletcher how to fly.
He landed the first kickflip
2. Which surfer landed a seamless lien full-rotation air reverse to win Stab High in 2019?
3. In the 2009 Kai Neville film Modern Collective, Jordy Smith landed numerous backside Superman airs, which later became known as the _____?
4. Who was the first surfer to stick a no-grab double alleyoop (landing with the tail facing the beach)?
5. John Florence landed his biggest in-competition alleyoops at what CT venues?
Backdoor and Haleiwa
Keramas and Bells
J-bay and Brazil
Snapper and France
6. What Volcom surfer closed his first profile film with a tube into a massive alleyoop, and at what wave did he fly?
Bruce Irons, Keramas
Ozzie Wright, Tallows
Andrew Doheny, Lowers
Noa Deane, North Point
7. What freckle-faced Floridian invented the Gorkin Flip?
8. In 2011, what surfer defeated Taj Burrow in the Quik Pro New York semifinals with a hail mary frontside full-rotation, sans tail pad?
9. What aerial pioneer was sponsored by a Southern California porn shop, got mixed up with the Hells Angels, and is rumored to have won the 1989 Lowers event strictly by doing airs on the left?
10. In 2001, what younger brother earned the closing part of Taylor Steele’s Campaign fim, largely due to his straight air hammer that closed the film?
11. Filipe Toledo landed one of the biggest airs in competitive history at the 2018 Oi Rio Pro. What was it?
12. What Santa Cruz aerialist was known to punt off NorCal wedges in custom Hotline superhero wetsuits?
Darryl ‘Flea’ Virostko
Jason ‘Ratboy’ Collins
Shawn ‘Barney’ Barron
13. Tube Quiz | One of the most memorable waves from Slater’s storied career was an air-drop to accidental layback tube, which earned him a 10 (and the win) against Bruce Irons in what CT event?
14. This surfer has become known for his annual jaunts to Skeleton Bay, where in the past two years, he’s clogged our feeds with dual GoPro/drone visions of waves with 7+ tubes.
15. Before Skeleton Bay was on the map, Ozzie Wright had the longest recorded barrel at which Indonesian wave?
16. This female World Champion got a hellacious no-hand backside tube at Cloudbreak while warming up for the 2016 event.
17. The heaviest-ever tow wave and heaviest-ever paddle wave at Teahupo’o were ridden by different surfers of the same first name. What is it?
18. In 2018, Joel Parkinson called an air-drop to unmade tube by Grant Twiggy Baker the greatest wave ever ridden. At what big wave venue did it occur?
19. This Pipe Master’s eponymously-named film is focused almost entirely on tube-riding, with sections in Indo, Tahiti, Mexico, Fiji, Micronesia, and Hawaii.
Joel Parkinson, Parko’s Pits
Kelly Slater, Kelly Slater in Black and White
Taj Burrow, Sabotaj
Jamie O’Brien, Who Is JOB
20. Craig Anderson rode a famously undersized craft at massive Nokandui in 2015. How big was his Hypto Krypto?
21. This surfer recently revolutionized tube-riding by perfecting the forehand layback.
22. In 2017, Michel Bourez used what unique body part to slow himself down at Cloudbreak, earning a nine-point ride for the subsequent tube?
23. This surfer earned surfing’s only perfect-30 heat on a gorgeous three-foot day at Kirra by threading tube after tube.
24. The most memorable wave of Andy Irons’ career was a backside side-slip into a gaping 10-foot tube. Where did this occur?
25. Face Surfing Quiz | Dane Reynolds made his “Dane Turn” famous at which WSL event, where commentators Shane Dorian and Rob Machado believed the 7 he received was a major under-score?
Rip Curl Pro Bells
Vans World Cup (Sunset Beach)
Quik Pro France
Reef Hawaiian Pro (Haleiwa)
26. In the Volcom film Psychic Migrations, which surfer shaped their own rainbow-tinted board and painted Chile’s left-hand points with gorgeous, abstract lines?
27. John Florence is famous for his railwork at both Rockpile and Margaret River Mainbreak. What Pyzel craft is his favorite for carving oversized walls?
28. This Australian natural-footer, considered to be surfing’s first well-paid freesurfer, is known for his long, languid carves and unrivaled power.
Dave ‘Rasta’ Rastovich
Brendan ‘Margo’ Margieson
29. What size Maurice Cole surfboard was Tom Curren riding when he did the famous cutback at Backdoor?
Trick question, it was a skimboard.
30. This Australian female earned a 10 at the 2019 Keramas event for an ultra-stylish check stall, tube, and drop-knee reo.
31. This Hawaiian powerhouse has more Triple Crowns to his name than any other surfer.
32. Tom Curren famously had an incredible first ride at which right-hand point?
33. Which surfer performed what is widely known as ‘The Snap’ at Pipeline?
34. What year did Occy win 11 skins at Bells?
35. Famous Australian carver, Mick Fanning, has a nickname. What is it?
All of the above
36. Kelly Slater and Andy Irons shared an iconic final at J-Bay in 2005. Which surfer won a buzzer-beater wave, despite falling on the final turn?
Neither, Parko won
Share results in comments. Stab staff sure to be reading.